23 March 2009

A little delayed on this one

Everyone was filling out those 25 Random Things things on Facebook not long ago, and I found this at http://homebrewedchristianity.com/2009/02/08/25-random-things-by-jesus-of-nazareth/

I thought it was funny.

25 Random Things by Jesus of Nazareth
By Chad Crawford • Feb 8th, 2009 • Category: engaging

This is my take on the “25 random things” Jesus would come up with if there were a 1st century version of Facebook. I’m not going to formally “tag” anyone to try this exercise as Jesus of Nazareth, but hopefully someone will take a shot at it.

1. My favorite thing to do at the end of the day is have a glass of wine with a few close friends.

2. You would probably never guess but I’m actually slightly introverted. I’m very social and love spending as much time as I can with others, but I need to slip away every now and then to reenergize through contemplation and prayer. Once I actually went into the wilderness for 40 long days, but that was more of a test than a retreat!

3. I have this funny little habit of doodling in the dirt. I think it relaxes me and helps me process my thoughts.

4. I love children but don’t have any of my own.

5. Sometimes I don’t think even my closest friends understand me, which can be frustrating! But they mean well and I love them anyway.

6. I’m not a revolutionary. At least not the kind who carries a sword. Using a sword for peace is like using sex to accomplish virginity! I believe we can have justice through love and transformed hearts.

7. My mother is an incredible woman. She’s a real saint.

8. I’m against capital punishment. My cousin was a victim of its misuse.

9. People think I keep pretty bad company. They might be rough around the edges but if you get to know them, they’re good salt-of-the-earth type people.

10. Mom has a special song she sings to me:

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, according to the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.

11. I love a good joke. My friends and I have this little ongoing banter with the Pharisees and Herodians, whenever they try to get me to contradict myself. It’s good-natured for the most part, but they sure don’t like to look bad.

12. My friends and I love to get together for great big meals. The more people the better. Even though we come from modest backgrounds, there always seems to be leftovers. Everyone should have some fishermen in their inner circle!

13. I think the wealthy could learn a lot from the poor, if they would spend some time with them.

14. Every time I take friends to my hometown, the people I grew up with tell embarrassing stories about me.

15. My name means “the Lord is salvation.”

16. When I wanted my cousin to baptize me, he at first refused!

17. You can always tell a Galileean by our accents.

18. My favorite Scripture passage is…wow that’s a tough one…the one I try to live by is from Isaiah the Prophet:

Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his teaching.

And any thing from the Tehillim, the songs of David.

19. I’ve never eaten pork, but I’d like to try it.

20. Ok, that 70 times 7 thing…I don’t even know how much that is! Ha! I mean, I could figure it out but it would take me a while. I just know it’s a big number! [edit: Ok I got it: 490]

21. My favorite snack food: fresh figs.

22. I can’t get used to being called “good teacher.”

23. I get a kick out of people parading their religiosity ostentatiously in public. Do they think they get a special reward for it?

24. 25 is a lot of random things!

25. Besides curing the sick, raising the dead, cleansing lepers, casting out demons, feeding the hungry, and proclaiming a new era of justice, I enjoy woodwork and winemaking.

No comments: